Wednesday, February 11, 2009

I believe in myself: Sonam Kapoor

Given that her debut film, Saawariya, didn’t turn out the way it should’ve, she must have had to battle some doubts while signing Delhi 6.

http://media.onsugar.com/files/2011/02/08/4/1440/14406555/8b/sonam-kapoor-wallpaper.jpg

But Sonam Kapoor says she went by her instinct. “I liked the role, so I took it up. And of course, it wouldn’t be intelligent on my part not to take my papa’s advice,” she says.

Only two films old, she’s worked with two of the biggest film-makers in B-town, Sanjay Leela Bhansali and Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra. “They are different,” says Sonam. “

While Sanjay’s direction is like making an oil painting, Rakeysh works as if on a watercolour.”

With her work, she says, she’s gained in confidence and it’s showing in her ultra hot looks on the ramp and on the covers of glossies. “I believe in myself,” says the actress, who’s gone de-glam and is sporting an ethnic look in Delhi 6. “It’s the character that I play,” she says. “Apart from the clothes by Anamika Khanna and Bharathi Mehra, I also dipped into my mother’s wardrobe and my grandmother’s jewellery collection,” she says.

Sonam’s character in the movie is of a young woman searching for an identity and wanting to break away from social norms. So, we asked her about the attacks on women going to pubs. “It’s a stupid way of looking at women,” she says. “It’s disgusting to see the political games being played. I’m ashamed of the men who spoke adversely about women going to pubs. Indian girls are strong and intelligent and know how to keep their families happy. Women are not inferior to men in anyway,” she asserts.

First it was Sonam vs Deepika, and now it seems the two are best buds. But is Deepika competition? “The thing with competition is that you start concentrating too much on someone else’s career. Competition is unhealthy and one should consider only oneself as the benchmark. You can’t expect two actresses to be the same. Everyone is different. Besides, Deepika and I have made our separate niches in the industry. Our work is not the same,” maintains Sonam.

No comments: