Tuesday, February 17, 2009

No politics in Sanjay-Shatrughan friendship

Friendships in politics and showbiz are hard to predict.

Sanjay Dutt

Take Shatrughan Sinha and Sanjay Dutt. The two are so close now that Sanjay Dutt will be visiting Patna on Feb 19 on Shatrughan Sinha's invitation. This, quick on the heels of Shatrughan Sinha's warm presence at Dutt's wedding-anniversary bash last week, is being seen in political circles as a very serious social and political association.

Shatrughan Sinha is a prominent and vocal member of the Bharatiya Janta Party while Sanjay Dutt is a new recruit to the Samajwadi Party(SP) whose general secretary Amar Singh is quoted as saying that Shatrughan Sinha welcome into SP whenever he desires.

Could the Shatru-Sanju friendship be seen as a political alliance?

The two were never the best of chums.Though always on cordial terms. Says a source close to Sanjay, "While Mr Shatrughan Sinha was fond of Dutt and never spoke negatively about his younger colleague all through his court hearing and trial, there was never any serious bonding between the two."

But lately there has been a focused attempt from both sides to get close to one another.

Says the source, "Shatruji came to Sanjay's anniversary party with his children. But before that the two of them met on a Mumbai-Delhi flight and chatted seriously for two hours. That conversation really brought them together. Shatruji now advices Sanju on a lot of matters, both political and personal."

When contacted to explain the nature and gravity of Sanjay Dutt's flash visit to Patna next week, Shatrughan Sinha, says, "Please don't read any political meanings to his visit to Patna. I want Sanju to visit the Mahavir Cancer Hospital in Patna. As you know Sanju's father worked relentlessly for cancer patients. Even I work closely with cancer patients. Sanju is also coming to meet the winners of a cricket memorial award. Every year I bring a topnotch celebrity to Patna on the occasion . This time they were very keen on Sanjay Dutt, because this award is about the youth. And Sanju has played a big hand in promoting the 'gym culture' among the youth of the country."

Interestingly Amar Singh is also expected to accompany Shatrughan Sinha and Sanjay Dutt to Patna on Thursday.

Laughs Shatrughan Sinha, "I know people will read even more politics into the visit. But we're coming before the electoral code of conduct is announced in Bihar. Amar Singh and Sanjay Dutt are accompanying me to Patna purely as a social visit. They'll also be visiting the famous Gurudwara in Patna City to pay their respects.But let me tell you there's no political agenda to this visit. I've been a part of the BJP, I'm a part of the BJP and hopefully I'll continue to be a part of the BJP."

But seen in the light of recent statements about Shartrughan Sinha's unhappiness with his party, wouldn't his alliance with two high-profile SP members be seen as politically motivated?

Says Sinha, "Look I know people are talking about my being sidelined by my party. But Sushma Swaraj and Rajnath Singh have said I'd be getting an election ticket in Bihar.I see no hitches in this. However let me add, I've friends in every party and I've open invitations to join them any time. But at the moment I'm not going anywhere.I repeat, Sanjay Dutt's visit is not political. In fact they'll be stopped from making any political statements during their visit."

Sanjay Dutt says only one thing. "Shatruji and Amar Singhji are now like family to me. Their wish is my command."

No comments: