Sunday, February 15, 2009

Ranbir Kapoor is Sonam's blind friend

How did your dad respond when he saw the promos of your next big screen outing?
He was happy with them. He liked it not because it was my film, but because he felt that it would be a good venture. He felt Abhishek and I share a great onscreen chemistry. In fact, he called up Rakeysh Mehra to congratulate him on the project.

http://buzz18.in.com/celeb/profileimage/sonam_kapoor_003_300x356.jpg

And what according to you, was the best part of shooting for the film?
I got along well not only with Rakeysh but also the rest of the cast. It was great
working with Abhishek. He is cool and young enough for me to relate to. At the same time, he is experienced enough to help me with my acting.

The buzz is that Abhishek and Rakeysh played pranks on you while shooting for the film. What would be the best prank to play on them?
(Laughs) I think it’s time for revenge now.

On a more serious note, Slumdog Millionaire is going places and your latest venture is set to hit theatres. How apprehensive are you of meeting expectations?
I don’t think of expectations as it will only lead to apprehension. I believe in karma. I work for the best and whatever has to happen will happen because I deserve it.

Honestly then, would you keep your fingers crossed for SM to be lucky at the Oscars or a BO hit for your latest?
Both, in fact. I want people to watch my latest film, not because I want it to be a hit, but because it is a noble film, an honest effort. Let me add that I want SM to fare well too.

Isn’t every film an honest effort in that sense?
I have a positive approach to things. Most film-makers make films because they want them to be watched and appreciated. But very few films are made with integrity. Rakeysh’s venture is such that any viewer, from a child to an 80-year-old, will be able to relate to it. ‘

Going back to SM, do you think slamming Slumdog is turning out to be a favourite pastime?
I don’t know. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. That’s what freedom of expression is all about. And if there’s
discussion or debate on a subject, it only makes people think more. Personally though, I loved Slumdog.

Okay, so whose expectations is it more difficult to live up to — your dad’s or the audience’s?
Dad has no expectations from me. He simply asks me to give it my best shot and work hard.

So, when you ink a deal, does it have to do with your dad’s approval?
No, though I do seek his opinion. I’m 23 for God’s sake! For me, it has to be a director with a vision and a great script. The cast will invariably follow.

Following Deepika’s quote then, you had expressed shock on seeing her abs in the item song of her latest film...
I really like Deepika a lot. I have seen her eat. Surprisingly, in spite of that, she manages to flaunt a figure like that.

Did Ranbir call you up once the promos of your latest film came on air?
He loves them. He saw Masakali and called me up. Ranbir can’t see anything wrong in what I do! He’s a blind friend.

How did the Deepika-Sonam friendship catch on?
I didn’t know Deepika too much. She started seeing Ranbir, who’s one of my best friends. We started hanging out together in a group and that’s when we started knowing each other.

Finally, with all the appreciation going in favour of your looks, have you finally come to terms with the fact that you are beautiful?
(Laughs) I don’t know. I’m awkward and I’m not being modest when I say that. I guess it’s genetic. I believe that I’m here because I’m my father’s daughter and because film-makers like Sanjay Leela Bhansali and Rakeysh believe in me. I will only realise how much it has to do with me, once I mature.

No comments: